Aug 29, 2009

Sunflowers Through Nature and Art

This school year, I decided we needed to have nature study time and more art time. The kids love this kind of learning, and I discovered a couple of blogs that have inspired me in my new endeavor. Friday I decided to combine nature study with art to go along with the sunflowers we've been growing all summer. The sunflowers are getting heavy with seeds, so I thought this would be the perfect time to dissect one of the flowers. Barb at the Handbook of Nature Study has a sunflower Outdoor Hour challenge listed on her sidebar that I reviewed before getting started.

The kids and I discovered all kinds of things about God's creation as we studied the rays of the flower, it's florets, and the growing seeds underneath the florets in the disk of the flower.

We then studied Van Gogh's painting of sunflowers online and completed an art project that I found on Kathy Barbro's blog. Check out her blog, Art Projects for Kids, if you are looking for some great art ideas to do with kids.

Allison's drawing

Abby's and Chloe's drawing

Mom's and Grant's drawing

5 comments:

  1. What fun! Those drawings are really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect post for the Charlotte Mason blog carnival! Art plus nature -- a perfect combo.

    Thanks for submitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful drawings. Nature and art are perfect together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for leaving me the fantastic comment on the HNS blog! I am always thrilled to hear how nature study is going in the families that read my blog.

    I love your experience and this entry about the sunflowers is great too!

    Thanks again,
    Barb-Harmony Art Mom

    ReplyDelete