Dec 4, 2009

Winter Nature Notebook Entry

Yesterday's snow and the coming of Christmas made us all realize that winter had arrived. We took our nature walk yesterday afternoon after the snow clouds began to break up to see what the weather had left behind . Today, we worked in our nature journals to record our walk, and Grant and Chloe were inspired to try a little experimentation with the freezing point.

After learning the freezing point is 32 degrees, and knowing that yesterday's temps were below that, Grant and Chloe decided to see if water would freeze in a little cup when placed outside.

They were rewarded with solid blocks of ice this morning!

After reading in the Handbook of Nature Study about snowflakes, we learned a few fascinating facts about snow. Most people know that no two snowflakes are alike, but did you know that all snowflakes have 6 points and 60 degree angles? Isn't God's creation amazing?!

This is Chloe's dictation to me about snowflakes.

I found a great art project that allowed the kids to create in their nature notebooks a scene much like the one we had out our window yesterday during the morning's snowfall. You can find that project at Art Projects for Kids. I love it when I can combine art and nature study!

The kids drew with oil pastels in their nature notebooks and then sprinkled watered down white tempera paint over the finished drawing. I thought the effect was snowy and beautiful!


1 comment:

  1. I really like the way the art project turned out.
    Blessings
    diane

    ReplyDelete