Apr 17, 2010

Painted Ladies

I am NOT an insect lover. I like nature until it comes to bugs. But, I do like butterflies. Clothed in so many different colors and patterns, butterflies are another display of God's glory. So, I decided to go for it. We bought a butterfly habitat and sent off for our larvae. They came today!

The beauty of this kit is that I don't even have to touch them in their larva stage. They arrived in this cup complete with air holes and food for their first stage of life.

Looking for signs of life

I think the day our Painted Ladies hatch from their chrysalis, the process will have been worth the effort on our part.

5 comments:

  1. It is very worth it. Just don't think the larva are dead. At times, they don't move much at all. My kids kept saying "they're dead!" The butterflies will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grant appears to be very intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up to my Nature Study Tuesday. I hope to see you next week! We love to watch butterflies go through their life cycles. Neat post and great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not an insect lover either. This is the first year in a long time that we have not done this project. :(

    We are going to be growing a venus flytrap though and that should be interesting.

    Thanks for submitting your entries to the CM Carnival.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did this last year and the girls are begging to do it again. I need to order soon! (Be prepared for a bit of ick when they emerge from their crysalises!)

    ReplyDelete